Our porch project has taken us a while because we’ve been so busy, but we’re making progress. After careful consideration, we decided to remove the lower windows. The frames were rotted, some of the panes were cracked or missing, and most of the windows didn’t raise or lower properly. We have storm windows on the outside that are in better shape, so the interior windows were extraneous and unattractive. Removing them was actually pretty easy; I pried off the trim and then simply lifted out the frames.
I got all ten out in under ninety minutes and with only cracking one pane.
Bonus find: pretty sure this is a crack pipe that I found in the windowsill. Given what we know about the previous occupants of our home, it’s not at all surprising.
Removal was the easy part; cleaning, scraping, sanding, caulking, and priming the newly-exposed frames took hours. I told you they were in bad shape! These projects are never as simple as anticipated.
Being able to relax on the porch with a glass of wine and watch a rainstorm is all I want to do… I keep trying to hang on to that image for motivation! We’re getting closer, though. We’re finally ready to paint. Then we’ll tear out and replace the words-cannot-describe-its-awfulness carpet. Furnishing and decorating will be the fun part!